So you’ve downloaded a copy of the Windows 7 Beta but have no way to activate it? Well, have you tried registering a Beta key? They’re free you know. Well, maybe you have a key that doesn’t match the version of the Beta download you have and you just need to extend the life a little. Follow these steps and you should be good to go.
1. First of all make sure that your Beta hasn’t expired. To do so simply type winver from the Start button search bar.
2. Most of the Beta clients should be valid until at least July 1, 2009.
3. Now, let’s check the status of the Windows Activation via the System Properties. To open the system properties right click Computer from the Start Menu and choose Properties. Please note that if UAC is enabled you will be prompted for credentials.
4. The Windows Activation is at the bottom of the System Properties window. As you can see from ours we need to activate.
5. Now open a command prompt by navigating to Accessories –> Command Prompt from the Start Menu. Be sure to right-click the icon and choose Run as administrator. Please note that if UAC is enabled you will be prompted for credentials. Your account must be an administrator on the machine to perform this task properly.
6. When the Command Prompt pops up type slmgr.vbs –rearm and hit Enter. If you perform this task correctly you should see the Command completed successfully popup box.
7. Reboot and you should be good for another 30 days. Please note that you should be able to perform this task three times for a total of 90 days… but your mileage may vary.